Long Draw Color

Spinning is awesome! I totally didn't know what i was missing. This weekend i focused on spinning up the 4oz's of Merino in "Kelp" i bought from Tactile. At some point on Sunday i decided it needed to be plyed with some black. So off i went. I found a super nice Alpaca/Mohair blend by Louet at Article Pract. 4oz's of that came home with me : ) Everything was spun. The two were plyed together and... I like it! The top is all Merino. The bottom skein is a a mix based on each ply. Both feel great to the touch. The bottom could have used more spin during the singles to help it ply onto each other better.


Tonight i started into some more of the fiber purchased from Lambtown. I picked this up at the booth and but it down atleast 5 times. I very walked away, outside of the building only to realise that i had to buy it. I'm not a "pink" person, but it called to me as too crazy to pass up. Long draw spinning and it's coming out pretty good. I'm getting better at the width consistency on the singles and really enjoying the crazy pink wool.


2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey there,

I came across your blog because I searched for "yarn spinning class bay area" on google and your blog came up! I read some of your entries and I like the projects you're working on! I was wondering if you'd be able to recommend some kind of spinning class or yarn store that could teach me how to handspin (I live in the east bay)? Since I don't have a big enough backyard for an alpaca I figure the next best thing is to learn how to make my own yarn :-P I have a blog also, not really about handspinning, but you can check it out if you want. It's: www.prairieskirts.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Erin

dre_ah said...

Hi! There are a couple of great places. Knit-one-one is a studio in Berkeley that super great. I am currently in a wheel spinning class there with the awesome women of Tactile Fiber Arts. Also i took my drop spindle class there about 4 months ago, good time, patient teachers. Also Article Pract in Oakland has offered some classes in drop spindle.

I'm not great, but could help out with the basics if you can't find a class to attend. Email me if you want to chat about it more ... dreah333 (at) gmail (dot) com.