So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night...

Good Night 2009!  The year ended pretty much how it began, low key and very up in the air.  The passing of 2009 marked a couple of special things for me:  1) the first whole year of living alone again; 2) a rejuvenation of my passion and drive for sewing; 3) strengthened relationships with all in my life both friends and family; and 4) more "me" and less "you".  The last one is important as i often fall into the rut of what can i do for others and copmletely leave myself in the dust.  Last year i made myself a promise that it would be the year of dre_ah!  I would do, live, love for me ... and i really enjoyed it.  I learned a lot about myself and it was the main reason i was able to deepen my relationships with others and find such pleasure in my relationships.  I learned a lot about who i am and what i can and cannot change about me.  I learned i like a lot more of me then i originally thought - AND - all of the laundry list of things i don't like are ALL changeable.  This was a *super* awesome realization as it gave me power over my own life and destiny in a way that i never felt before.  I tumbled a lot in 2009 and am glad for a new year to begin a new with all of my knowledge, experiences, family, and friends.

So 2009 i sewed, and sewed, and sewed...  Well i'm not going to throw out the sewing machine or serger, my best-est buddy, but i am going to try to find a better balance in my crafting.  in 2010 i want to make less projects for events and make more things i want!  This is a big shift as i come from a land where you don't wear the same outfit to out EVAR!!!  So allowing myself to dressup in a georgous outfit that will be seen by posibably the same group of people more than once is rather painful, but healthy.  I don't need to re-invent the wheel each time there is something i want to go to.  I have a fantastic wardrobe and a good sized costume collection of late Victorian garments that would love to be worn over and over again.  So i am going to make up a list of the things i *want* without even looking at an events calendar to compile a rough projects list for 2010. 

One such project that made it onto the list at 15 minutes into the new year is a shawl for a friend to wear to a friends wedding!  I am so excited about this project as i have watched so many of my fellow knitters work up beautiful shawls for wedding completely envious of each of them.  My female friend base is rather small and the men i know aren't ready for marriage so for me there has been no opportunity for wedding knitting which is a plethora of gorgeous lacy and beautiful styles.  More to follow over the next few months as a pattern and yarn are pulled together.  One of the best things is a have until May!  I really super appreciate it when i get all of this advance notice as things tend to pile up in my life and take over the attention that is really due elsewhere.

Lastly ~ New Years Day has been Tamale day for years.  It is a day i devote to slow fantastic cooking and allow myself time without end.  No worrying about when this or that will be ready; it will happen when i t happens.  I find it centers me for the coming year to take this time to myself and to allow a slow start to the new year.  The tamales have always been vegetarian and made in large quantities.  This year i am breaking away from the traditional been and cheese filling and am branching out into new things.  Black beans are still the foundation, just not the only star.  This morning was spent roasting Pobalno peppers in the oven which along with some jalapenos, sweet potatoes, onion, and a dash of cheese is going to make up the filling.  It sounds fantastic and i can't wait for this evening when everything is done and the first steamed tamale of the new year makes it's way onto my plate. Mmmmm...

2010...I'm ready!


1 comment:

Fabulous Pants said...

I went through this not needing a new outfit thing with my own hobby last year. It turned out I really enjoyed myself at the events more than I had in years due to not being exhausted from over working to make deadlines and also having those looming thoughts of all the things I wanted to get done that I did not. I hope you find the same peace and joy in recycling costuming as I did!