House Week 13: Wrapping it Up and Creative ways to use a Saw

Last week marked a very important milestone for the house progress ... the Tyvek wrapping!  The wrapping will now hold us accountable as it has a "cover me up by" date.  Essentially the home wrap cannot be exposed to the elements of the weather for more then 3 weeks before being covered and getting onto it's main job of keeping moisture out of the house.  The timeline should help keep us on it and aware of any further delays ... i may move in before Halloween!!!

Front   |    Back

Unfortunately the weekend also was the bearer of some bad news, the large window that weighs TONS arrived damaged.  And i'm not talking a scratch, i'm talking about bubbles in between the two layers of glass where it looks like the film between the windows kind of melted.  Crazy/scary stuff.  At least we are on the road to recovery.  This is the second time i've had to send this window back to Lowe's due to damage.  Well i have a very small moment on the phone with a sweet woman and now Lowe's is going to re-order and install the window themselves.  The window being damaged is annoying.  The fact that they are going to completely take care of them doing this is AWESOME!!!  I am beyond tired of the rude delivery guys from the third party delivery company and the ridiculously damaged windows that keep getting shipped, thus the awesom~ness of having this not on my to do list anymore.

We did make a lot of progress on my Dad's excuse to have purchased a bunch of fancy tools = the original front windows from 1921.  Some background about the windows...  The original windows for the home were in two different locations.  The first was at the front of the house in the south wall of the Living Room.  These windows were well protected as someone had enclosed the porch a bunch of years back essentially placing the windows inside the home.  The second location was the discovery after i bought the home that underneath was a treasure trove of fun-tastic things, which just happened to include 4 additional original windows that we decided to re-install at the front of the house to give the home a real 1921 feel.

The original plan was to take the existing window frame to a woodworker and have a new one built.  Well that didn't last long as it was a super enticing project for my father.  He decided to take it on and 3 full days later we had most of the pieces ready to be assembled.  To get this far we used a radial saw with a homemade wooden guide to help shape the sides and tons of different router bits at different base angles to get the rain splash angle of the sil perfect.  While dad toiled away on the window mom and i went to work on the trim that goes around all of the windows around all of the windows.  We cut it square using a "plane-er" (not sure of the spelling) and the router to give a nice suttle edge to the trim.

The original living room windows in their frame

Wk 13: Original Front of House windows from 1921

Working on the trim for the new window frame | Working on the trim that will go around each of the windows with Mom

Wk 13: THe beginnings of the NEW frame for the 2nd set of OG windows @ front of house    Wk 13: Mom helping with the wood trim for around the new windows

Also we are nearly finished with the electrical, plumbing, and gas renovations to the house.  Unfortunately we did not pass all of the inspections on the first go-round, but we did learn a few things and now are done with the updates and awaiting the 8 inspections to move us along to the next phase.  The electrical is a bit more complicated based on the preferences within the City of Berkeley.  Below are good and bad pictures to show you just how crazy some of these inspections truly are.

Fail Inspection | Pass Inspection

Wk 13: Bad wiring that could spark and kill me (according to the inspector)   Wk 13: Good wiring that will allow me to live happily ever after (as per inspec-TOR)

No comments: