A new breakfast favorite and super quick is ... Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
I have modified this from one of my favorite baking books "The Joy of Vegan Baking" swapping the blueberries with poppy seeds and a couple of other small changes. Don't get me wrong, blueberries rock! But poppy seeds are scrumptious and i have a small stock pile of them that i've been using this recipe to wind through.
I prefer Almond Milk when baking over other non dairy milks like soy or rice milk as it's thick. Much thicker and closer to the consistency of cows milk. Also if you buy it unsweetened it has as little as 35 calories a cup! Nearly a quarter of most milks and i find the flavor to be rich, yet not over powering. I have successfully made this recipe with rice milk with complete success as well. I recommended that you experiment and find what is the best for your cooking style and flavor palette.
This can be made either as a single loaf, 12 regular muffins, or 24 mini muffins. I lean towards the loaf and mini muffins to help with portion control, these are tasty and i have to watch i don't eat a batch in a night. Please note that the cooking times will vary depending upon what you decide to go with, here are some approximates:
a) loaf = 55 minutes @ 385F (somewhere between the 375 and 400 marks)
b) regular muffins = 25 minutes @ 400F
c) mini muffins = 22 minutes (check these often to ensure they don't burn) @ 400F
2 cups unbleached flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of 2 lemons
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 1/8 cup of almond milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tbl white distiller vinegar
3/4 cup poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven based on the type of item you are making and lightly grease your pans. I use earth balance sticks and run them all over the inside of the pan or muffin trays.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a bowl. (I recommend buying a micro-planer is you like lemons, it will save you hours on tasks like these)
3. In a separate bowl combine sugar, milk, oil, lemon extract, and vinegar.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and add the poppy seeds.
5. Pour into your pan of choice. If muffins only fill 2/3's of the way full as these grow!
6. Cook as per above chart. They are ready when an inserted toothpick come out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for 5 minutes to help the tops to not crack.
8. Remove from the pans and cool on wire racks